by Bill Tucker, Director
What’s new to the 2017 Summer Institute?
· It starts the day after Nerdcamp
· It will be led by teacher consultants: Angela Knight and Kris Gedeon
· It will be supported by EMWP Director Bill Tucker
· It will require continuity meetings to qualify for credit or SCECH’s
What’s familiar in the 2017 Summer Institute?
· It emphasizes writing, research, and leadership
· It invites teachers of all subjects and levels, K-16
· It invites returning teachers from previous summer institutes
· It takes place in the familiar confines of the Student Center
A primary goal of the grant that funds our summer institutes is developing teacher leaders, so we are planning to make the EMWP more and more teacher-driven. If you’re looking for a leadership role or have ideas for expanding our reach, you should come with those ideas and prepare to step forward to help us achieve them.
If you just want to grow in depth and versatility as a teacher and writer, that’s fine, too. Rejuvenation is essential to leadership.
Application consists of pre-registration then final registration. Pre-register by submitting the attached, familiar application. This will set up a priority list for registration: first come, first served.
After March 1 we will invite the first 15 pre-registered to register officially with Extended Programs. You will be billed $550, but the National Writing Project will provide a $400 scholarship. This may be a reimbursement, but I am working to get you the $400 up front. It’s all in the bureaucracy.
We are excited to see what else will be new this summer. While we try to preserve the best of the summer institute, we also know that growth means change. Come grow with us!