by Kimberly Pavlock, TC’92
Inkstains applications started coming in weeks ago, and, as always, we’re thrilled to see registrations from returning campers as well as new campers! Young writers tell us why they value their week of writing time at EMU so much. As one high school camper explained, “Inkstains offers opportunities that you wouldn't normally do on your own like listen to a song and use that as inspiration for your writing. It pushes you to try new things, and you become a better writer because of it. The adults in charge were more like older friends than instructors and I felt comfortable taking risks and sharing my writing. My ideas and overall quality of my writing are better now.”
We still have spots available in both the middle and high school sessions of Inkstains. The middle school session (for incoming grades 6-8) runs July 11–15, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The high school session (for incoming grades 9-12) runs July 18-22, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Students interested in applying should complete the following steps:
- Fill out the application form included in the Inkstains 2016 brochure. The brochure is available on the EMWP website.
- Include a short piece of polished writing (1-4 pages in length).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher. (Emails of support from teachers are also welcome. Please email Kim Pavlock at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Enclose a check for $225 for camp tuition made payable to the Eastern Michigan Writing Project. ($200 for each additional sibling). The tuition rate increases to $245 for applications postmarked after June 20.
· Send completed application to
Eastern Michigan Writing Project
c/o Inkstains Writer’s Camp
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
We hope all EMWP TCs will share this opportunity with their students. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Pavlock at email@example.com.