Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Eastern Michigan Writing Project Reunion

Erin Umpstead

The Eastern Michigan Writing Project (EMWP) had a reunion for its membership in early November 2013 at the Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti. The fellows and leadership from the previous years were invited and many fun things were planned including a writers' marathon, writing prompts, finger foods, and excellent company.


In fact, a good natured competition was put forth that the year with the most attendees would receive a free book from the EMWP's library. With that motivation to spur us on to greatness, the class of 2013 showed up, in full force, ready to reminisce, reconnect, and rejuvenate the feelings of camaraderie that the summer institute had engendered.



Engaged as I am with my full-time teaching job and my graduate studies at Eastern, I almost did not attend. Not only would I have missed the drawings for the wonderful and imaginative survival baskets being raffled, but I would have missed the feeling of community I was already missing. The EMWP changed my life as a writer and as an educator. Attending the reunion was a bolster to my spirit and put a smile on my face.
To anyone who has not yet taken the leap, I urge you to become a part of the EMWP. For those of you fellows out there whose lives have been enriched by the summer institute, get yourselves to the next reunion. I will be there to greet you and remember just what a wonderful experience it truly was.

No comments: