At the 2012 English department Celebration of Excellence:
- Dawn Izzi (TC '10) was awarded: "Outstanding Graduate Student in English Studies"
- Jessica DeYoung Kander was awarded the 2012 Graduate Dean's Award for Excellence in Research for her thesis "Reading Queer Subtexts in Children's Literature"
- Sarah Primeau was honored for her outstanding work in the EMU Writing Center
- The following Teacher Consultants presented their Master's Projects:
Dawn Izzi (2010)
Alli Kaplan (2006)
Lauren (Russette) Nizol (2007)
Brad Silverman (2010)
Michelle Westerdale (2003)
Congratulations to Cathy Fleischer, Co-director of NCTE, for receiving the Rewey Belle Inglis Award for Outstanding Woman in English Education, November, 2011!
Congratulations to Doug Baker, Co-director, for receiving the 2012 Assessment Leadership Award!
CAS Dean's Program Initiative Grants were awarded to:
- Doug Baker (with Elisabeth Daumer) "Multiple Lenses Project: Reading from Different Perspectives for Different Purposes"
- Cathy Fleischer, Bill Tucker (with Ann Blakeslee) "Disciplinary Literacy and the Teaching of Writing"
Earlier this year, Elizabeth (Liz) Bertolini-Lietz, summer institute participate of 2010, and her husband Tom Lietz gave birth to a baby girl, Charlotte Emily Lietz. Charlotte was born 2/21/12, weighing in at 9 lbs, 1 oz and 21.5 inches long. Congratulations!